In the past, we have written blogs about the growing number of mobile users that rarely use desktops to access the web. This past Friday on November 25th, 2016 an astonishing number was reached with mobile app purchases, US shoppers purchased $1.2 billion dollars through mobile transactions on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. That is not the only milestone that was reached on Thanksgiving, but Online shopping increased 21 percent to $3.34 billion in sales surpassing last year’s number in online sales, which was $3 billion in online sales. In the US by the end of Black Friday shoppers spent $5.27 billion.
Bank Rate reported only 23 percent of US consumers said they planned to shop in stores after Thanksgiving this year, compared with 28 percent last year. By the way, Adobe said the five top-selling electronic products on Black Friday were Apple’s iPads, Samsung’s 4K TVs, the Apple MacBook Air, LG’s TVs and Microsoft’s Xbox.
The shifts in Mobile trends are reshaping the retail industry right before our eyes, what other industries will mobile have this big and effect on. For consumers, mobile apps are a great way to improve their shopping experience. Shopping with mobile apps has many benefits rather than going about shopping the traditional way at the mall, which has it’s many challenges.
The benefits that appeal to most mobile shoppers through Mobile Commerce are:
- Mobile shoppers are empowered with multiple stores and brand option in real-time.
- Price comparisons are done easily through mobile apps of various brand and similar products.
- Detailed product information is available at the push of a button.
- Helpful user reviews to judge the quality of a product.
- Checkout processes are much faster than standing in line.
The retail industry has been focused on improving customer satisfaction through mobile apps, and with good reason. The revenue driving through mobile apps this past Black Friday is amazing and will continue to grow as retailers focus on new opportunities for engagement for consumers that previous technology could not deliver.
Retailers are taking advantage of mobile apps and new technology to increase sales by building personal relationships with individual customers based on their shopping styles and the user’s mobile activities; which are monitored and tracked for so that the next purchase is tailored for them. The retailer industry is now running loyalty programs, new customer offers, and promoting new products all with mobile apps this is opening up another source of revenue for retailers.
The biggest trends in mobile apps are:
- Mobile Inventory Maintenance – Personally when I’m in a store and need assistance, more and more lately sales associates are able to search in-store and locate the item, this feature is very helpful when shopping.
- The point of Sales (POS) Mobility – I’ve been in stores and have been able to avoid long checkout lines, because of mobile POS systems.
- Location Based Service – Although they encourage you to spend money, these location-based services provide great sales on items you’ve search.
- Customer Loyalty apps – Discounts and reward programs are a great way to keep people coming back if they are actually being rewarded for their loyalty, the retail industry is doing that with something people always have on hand, their smartphones.
- Omni-channel Experience – This is a great way to increase a brand’s visibility in different markets, by making the product available in multiple selling channels.
- Product Info: Retailers are providing consumers, info on different products when they are available with them based on their past search in online by sending notifications to their mobile apps to maintain regular interaction with the consumer.
Vensi Inc, we are specialized in developing Mobile Apps for retail and commercial use. We developed service and utility mobile apps useful for many mobile users on different Mobile platforms & web. Mobile Apps are playing a key role in the enhancement of retail business to reach more people in future for better and easiest shopping experience with a click.