In the present era of substituting desktops and laptops with handhelds, there is an increasing need to make life much simpler by using various mobile apps. The client requirement was to create a mobile application which is multiple-device compatible and that which extracts information from restaurants found in and around a particular city. This enables users to choose from multiple restaurants options, based upon their specified areas of interest, such as the location, menus, discount deals, descriptions and most importantly the aesthetic details of the restaurant and the hours of operation.
To address this issue, we developed an app for both iPhone and Android in two phases – the first being development of an in-house app called PAQT (Partner Acquisition Tool) which collects comprehensive data of restaurants across the US from their respective owners in terms of their varied menus, prices, cuisine types, etc. This information is then stored on the client server for future access.
The second phase involved development of an end-user mobile app which has the ability to retrieve the stored information and display the offers provided by various restaurants, after being preferentially filtered on the customer’s handhelds. This app is a whole lot faster in terms of loading the pages from Local Cache instead of connecting to the server. Due to slow performance on older apple devices owing to memory constraints, this issue was addressed by conducting a performance tuning so as to minimise the App memory usage. In an effort to integrate similar features, functionality and user experience on Android devices, testing results showed lack of support of certain functionalities; this issue was resolved with the addition of a couple of extra cases, thus enabling the App to run on any device supporting Android OS. We used jQueryMobile, thanks to its compatibility with all mobile browsers and automatic scalability of all screens ranging from smart phones to desktop screens.
Key Features of Mobile App
- Smart and quick options are offered to diners at nearly 18,000 restaurants across the US
- The Deals Near Me feature enables diners to find restaurant savings near present location using geolocation technology
- Offline Storage: By using the local files within the App, the user can access most of its features while being offline, eliminating the need to load pages from the server
- Using this app, users can filter restaurants across three parameters – GPS location, Zip code and City, and finalize their favourite one which meets all of their requirements
- Other filter options include – city, distance, price, cuisine type, alphabetical and newly added, all of which help the user arrive at the most economical decision as to which restaurant to opt for
- The integrated Maps feature on the application displays information of deals available at a specified location in respective cities.
- The My Certificates tab enables paperless redemption, where in gift certificates can be digitally redeemed 100% by merely showing the on-screen certificate to a server, eliminating the need to get it printed
- The Promo Code option provides additional discounts
- User’s data usage can be constantly tracked with the integrated App Measurement framework
- The best part is paperless redemption, wherein the transaction can be directly shown to your server on your iPhone
- The built-in mapping technology also displays directions to preferred restaurants
- Makes it easy to search for budget-friendly deals nearest to your current location
- Ordering made easy, while one needs to keep track of certificates and view restaurant details
- iPhone: Obj-c, Frameworks: CoreLocation, MapKit, UiKit, Foundation, CoreGraphics
- Android: Android Framework, Java